Wednesday, August 19, 2015

It's here!! {A review on a book that will change our generation}

The day has come! Voices around the world are singing with joy as the pages are shared and the hearts are encouraged and the words are cherished. Finally! I get to share with you what has been one of the best-kept-secrets this year. 

The book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the Love by Jen Hatmaker
Released August 18, 2015

{A review of sorts}

Truly a book of the century. One that will feel like breathe to weary lungs and laughter galore to a comics itch for funny. She does it somehow - the whole humor, Jesus, grace thing. It is her calling and it is clearly passioned in the words of this anthem book. 

If you’ve ever wondered who else cringes at leggings as pants or if there is another sister who is a little more “spicy” than “sweet” or maybe you just need to know that you are not crazy when you feel like the worlds standards for women are outrageous and unattainable…this book is for you. 

With an un-bashful honesty, Jen will make you laugh and cry from the first chapter to the last. You’ll refer to her as your BFF before you reach the second section of the book (which by the way is titled “All The people Who Live in Your House.” Hilarious and heart-warming.) And with chapter titles like “On Calling and Haitian Moms”, “Fashion Concerns”, “Thank-You Notes”, “Surving School”, and “Dear Christians, Please Stop Being Crappy”, …YOU’LL FALL IN LOVE! 

If you are a mom, single, career-woman, homemaker, baker, sales-woman, circus performer, librarian, doctor, or just a woman in general, you will not be able to put this book down. Not only because it is that good but because it is that needed. You will relate with her message and be elated with a soul-sister who “gets it”. 

Simply put, our generation needs this book. Don’t miss out. You’ll be so thankful you bought it. 

{Personal reflection}

As a recovering legalist, I’m learning to err on the side of grace in all things, with all people. I am also still familiarizing my charred bones with the meaning of freedom. Living as God made us, climbing out from the pile of “horsecrappy” as Jen would say, and embracing the beauty-grace that is fully founded in the truth that I am who I am for a very specific reason. The words penned in this book affirm that life is hard, Jesus is still the way, and we can do this together. 

But only with love as our well-worn harness. 

Vividly I recall the day I applied to be on Jen’s book launch team. The Facebook post jumped in front of me and I knew it was worth a try but I had to leave in approximately 2 minutes, 10 seconds. Merrily and without much expectation, I filled out the form. When it came to the essay section of the little form I went rogue (due to time restraint) and didn't craft a show-stopping beauty of words.

I simply said:

"I love Jesus. 
I love writing and reading. 
I love Jen Hatmaker. "

(or something along those lines)

Jesus works miracles every day because somehow my hurried typing and no-time-to-process response won me the opportunity to get her book in my hands months before it was released. Along with the other 499 precious members of the team (chosen out of 5,000 applicants), I anxiously awaited the arrival of this treasure of a book. 

But so much more took place. Shortly after my acceptance notification, there was a community formed unlike any other I’ve experienced. Women (+ 4 men ) filled the pages of our little private Facebook page DAILY. Request for prayer, jokes, fun opportunities to raise money for great causes, sharing life...it all happened with 500 strangers. 

We bonded and we changed. 

Beating in my heart is a deep desire to create community that changes the world. Small, right-in-your-place kind of community that is founded on honesty and love and commitment to people simply because they are worthy of unbridled grace. For the Love unexpectedly birthed that breed of community and gave a tangible glimpse of what it looks like to live that out. 

A vision come to life. 

A movement begun.

If ever I have been a part of something beautiful, mysterious, and world-rocking, this is high on the list. I am ever so grateful.

So when I sing the praises of this gem, look upon my words as fiercely honest and wholly true. You may get a glimpse of the glory-community we were meant to live. And I believe you will never be the same. 

Thank you Jen. For you are changing the world. 

Be you. 
Be kind. 
Love Jesus.
-Jen Hatmaker

xoxo

Chelsia

No comments:

Post a Comment