Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Messy That Turns Out To Be Beautiful (and a peek at my latest decor project)

After 7 years of living in our current home, my husband and I are finally doing some light remodeling. I say light because we aren't planning on tearing any walls down but we've definitely braved some minor demo work such as ripping up old floors and replacing our stairs. It has been a slow process because we are working within our budget and around our busy schedule as a family of five. However, even with the slow progress, it has been so rewarding.

If you've done any remodeling then you know that redecorating often comes with the territory. A little over a year ago I started allowing room in my schedule for doing just that. Most of my decorating projects involve painting, staining and a little crafting-all of which require me to use some "non-mom" brain space. In other words, I get to use the creative, artistic side of me. The one that would easily hides itself underneath layers of housework and mom duty and to-do lists if I didn't choose to set aside time to "create."

Just a few weeks ago, while strolling up and down every isle at the local farmers market, I had my eyes scanning each vendor's small space looking for that one special item I just couldn't live without. We turned a corner and once again I began looking carefully through the treasures laid out on the acres of green, lush grass. At first glance I didn't see anything special from this man's sale but then out of the corner of my eye I spotted a worn out, time stamped stool sitting alone on the corner of his lot. I walked up to it and without skipping a beat I asked my husband if he was okay with me purchasing this item. He must have saw that familiar twinkle in my eye because he looked at me with a soft, knowing smile and gave his blessing. After making an offer, I loaded it in our wagon and she was all mine. Although I saw potential in this stool, I knew it needed some serious tlc. So I perused the internet for inspiration and just today, during my kids naptime, I was able to bring my vision to life.

Here it is all painted and prettied...
 
 
At first glance, it looks really cute doesn't it? Take a closer look at the photo below...
 

I imagine you can see the obvious flaws now. In fact, it's down right messy and sloppy in some areas. I was so careful when placing my design on top of the stool and I focused really hard on painting lightly and using only a thin coat so it wouldn't smear. Clearly I didn't do as good of a job as I thought I did because when I peeled back the stencil I was so disappointed to see the sloppy letters and numbers. I thought about starting over and trying to clean it up, making crisp lines instead of the blurred, semi-ugly ones that are pictured above. Then at least no one would ever know how I messed it up. But before I could even reach for my paint brush I felt God say in my spirit, "Sweet daughter, don't paint over it just to hide the flaws, love it for it's messiness and take joy in what you've created".

That's when I understood the lesson God was teaching me. That's exactly how he feels about us. We are His masterpiece, a product of His infinite love and while we can appear quite messy, He never once has wanted to take a paintbrush and start over by covering up our mistakes and imperfections. Instead, He views us much like my husband and I view our home remodel. He wants to take us and shape us slowly. He allows the process to happen without rushing us because He knows that authentic, true art takes time and it cannot be hurried. Isaiah 64:8 refers to God as the potter and we, his beloved children, as the clay. As a potter sees all the imperfections of his clay, so does God. As a potter sees all the potential with his clay, so does God. Art rarely turns out just as the artist pictured it. In fact, I would venture to say that most artists choose to find the beauty in the imperfections because they know they will exist. Thankfully God is not surprised how we turn out. He knew how messy we would be and He chose to create us anyway. He could see our imperfections from before time began but that did not stop him from beaming with excitement when He wove us in our mother's womb's (Psalm 139). He is not interested in pretending we don't mess up. He wants to walk through our messes and give us the gift of seeing the beauty He is creating in us through those messes.

"God often uses our deepest pain as the launching pad of our greatest calling". I don't know who wrote that but it has recently become one of my favorite new quotes. I think I like it so much because it reminds us that nothing is wasted. When we mess up, when we hurt, when we are feeling undone and stripped down....He uses it. He doesn't paint over the imperfections, He allows them to shine just as an artist would. 
 
My cute little stool is sitting in my entryway right now. It's placed on top of the silver-toned tiles that are laying loose, waiting to be glued down. I'm anticipating quite a few more hours of work in our entryway and I'm looking forward to seeing my little stool proudly placed right where it needs to be-in my line of vision as a reminder to love the imperfections.

With love for you and all of your messiness,
Chels

No comments:

Post a Comment