Monday, November 23, 2015

My 7-day Pledge {to Purge My Heart and Protect My Destiny}

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses so that Christ's power may rest on me. 
2 Corinthians 12:9


Relaxed under the warmth of my soothing detox bath, it felt strange to feel heavy. After allwater is a place we usually feel lighter in weight, not heavier. 




But it wasn't my body that felt weighted. It was my heart. And hearts don’t follow rules of buoyancy.

Placing my book on the nearby stand I whispered to the Lord through confused lips, “Why do I feel this way?” 

Jesus responded to my heart in a word that flooded all understanding to my soul…Gluttony.

Oh how instantly my heart knew He intended that word to embody more than just the overindulgence of food. 

The thing about gluttony is that it seeps into all areas of our lives before we realize it. Then suddenly we feel the weight of disconnection and we long to know why. All the while, Jesus waits for us to turn our hearts back to self-discipline and an armored way of living. 

Longing for more of Jesus took over my senses. The hot tears began to stream and I cried, Anything. I will give up anything to be nearer to you and free from the sin of gluttony. Show me how. Give me clarity in the steps to take. And help me Jesus to do it.”

“Purge Chelsia.”

Jesus is so gentle but so honest with us. 

I know my heart well enough to know that some seasons of life require soft growth where God is working on growing me more silently in the unseen places of my being. Then there are times in which He asks me to take a stronger stand by harshly removing and replacing with the guidance of his strong, loving hand. 

God's dreams are big for you and me but the war waged against our souls by our enemy is big too, so we must keep our eyes open wide. 

The devil prowls around like a lion only to devour us. He saturates our culture and allures us with temptations of laziness, distraction, and even numbness to our own sin. 

But our mighty God waits tirelessly for us to choose His way of preparing and growing and nurturing our hearts and lives in order to live more fully. 

Wisdom is teaching me that adopting an eternal perspective is the only passage-way to fully living in the fullness of those God-sized dreams. Because short-sightedness is the friend of our enemy but grand vision is the friend of our Savior. 

And so dear sisters, I share with you my 7 day battle plan to purge in order to protect my destiny, my marriage, and my family. 

Just as going through my closet is far less productive without a purpose, so going through the closet of our hearts and minds is less productive without a plan. Within each area as I seek to re-center and re-fill with life-giving replacements, I have kept a list of specific things that I need to abstain from or that I need to begin practicing.

Focusing on 3 areas to purge, I will: 1) Make a pledge and 2) Meditate on scripture that encourages my growth in these areas.  

This is not a one and done deal, for God is always calling us deeper. This is simply a launching pad - a step toward offering myself as a sacrifice and asking God to make me more like Him. 

3 Areas to Purge
  1. Heart
  2. Health
  3. Habit

Pledge 

I pledge to take all thoughts captive. To release to God those harmful thoughts that I’ve kept in the dark. And instead of allowing toxic thoughts and actions to take residence in my heart I will choose edifying soul-food that builds me and the church. (2 Corinthians 10:5, Philippians 4:8)

I pledge to abstain from indulging in food and physical laziness that tears my body down. Instead I will choose substance and exercise that fuels me with energy and fosters a healthy lifestyle. By doing this I am pledging to take care of the temple God gave me therefore being better equipped to serve others and live in the freedom and fullness Jesus promises. (1 Corinthians 6:20, 1 Corinthians 3:16-17)

I pledge to re-direct my unhealthy habits that steal time, energy, and life from the people that matter most in my life. Turning from idol living that squelches living to the full. Instead I will choose to implement life-giving habits to establish balance and promote a life more reflective of godly character. I will honor the gifts God has given me by using them wisely.  (Romans 12:2, Luke 6:45, 1 Peter 4:10)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Going Deeper

1. What area from your own life came to your mind that you may need to purge?
 2. What holds you back from getting rid of gluttony-like living?
3. What step can you take today to walk toward a more free life??





No comments:

Post a Comment